Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Dropping the Dots—Part II

To intercede is not just “to intercede for” but also “to intercede in the place of” another.

As I was writing the other day...

In the same way that we (as human beings) are connected inextricably to each other biologically, I think that we are also connected spiritually.  Because of this, when I pray for another it’s as though I am that other praying for himself or herself.  And even though I may be praying for that which that individual may not want or know that they want or need (for example, that he or she might turn toward God or repent of sin), because I’m praying on behalf of that one (and, actually, standing "in the gap" within that one), I believe God is invited to move in that person’s life.  And because it’s as though that person is the one praying, for God to answer and to work in accordance with what I'm asking is NOT, I believe, a violation of that person’s freewill.  It's just God doing what He "sees" that needs to be done (and, in fact, that He desires to do) as it accords with what I (ergo, that person through me?) is asking.

In all of us—even those who seem or feel far from God—there exists the Spark (the Life, the Image) of God.  Though the deceitfulness and momentary pleasures of sin may cloud out that spark, it is, nevertheless, still there.  And it is that spark within all of us that yearns to be with God and—if I may be so bold—that yearns to be reconciled to God.  As such, to pray for the renewal of another is to tap into that spark within that one that yearns to know God, to be with God, and to allow God to do for that one that which that one cannot do for himself or herself.

I think, my friends, that all of this could be called AGREEMENT, and I'm quite curious as to what your thoughts are on all of this.

God is provident, meaning, He sees all and prepares and acts accordingly.  This is, I believe, the true meaning of the Name Jehovah Jireh:  “The Lord Who Sees.”

God’s providence is a mystery.

Sometimes, He prevents a great tragedy; sometimes, He doesn’t.

In both incidents, though, I believe He works to bring about great good from whatever the circumstances in the moment might be.  And it is this “rising goodness” that enables all of us, if we open ourselves up to it, to find true delight in God and, ultimately, to discover that He is That Which truly satisfies us in life…when times and conditions are good, and, perhaps especially, when they’re not so good.  As John Piper writes, “God is most glorified in us when we are most satisfied in Him.”

A little more on the providence of God or “the rising goodness” that occurs in every situation…

Sometimes God acts independently of man’s will and participation.  Here are some examples:
  • Rainfall;
  • Sunshine;
  • The growth of plants;
  • The circulation of blood in our veins;
  • The production of oxygen in our atmosphere;
  • The growth of a newly conceived baby.

Last night, while I was having a late dinner with my dearest of friends, I thought of how God’s provision of basically the same thing (edible fruit, for example) happens, at times, irrespective of our participation, and yet how at times, too, it won’t happen without our participation.  Two fruit-producing scenarios came to my mind:  (1) the blackberry bush; and (2) the plumb tree.  Both, if they’re healthy, produce fruit.  The first (the blackberry bush) can be found growing naturally in many different places; the second (the plumb tree), though, is most often cultivated deliberately by mankind.  The fruit produced by the first requires no participation on our part.  The second, though, requires someone to till and prepare the soil, plant the seeds, and then carefully tend to the plant/tree as it grows.  In both instances, God provides the original soil, sunshine, and rainfall, but in the second instance, God requires mankind to till and prepare the soil and to care for the plant.  God, in the second scenario, quite literally refuses to do that which mankind must do.

I write all of the above to say simply that sometime God acts independently of us and that sometimes He doesn’t.  What is the distinction?  I think it’s found in what God commands and in what He doesn’t.

For example...

God does not command us to circulate our blood.  THAT would be a little ridiculous, wouldn't you agree?

God commands us, though, to love others, to pray for others, to work the earth, to honor our parents, etc. 

There are inherent consequences to our every response to a command of God.  Obedience results in reward; disobedience results in, for lack of a better description, a life lived badly.

If you’re not obeying God in the things I mentioned above, then you most likely won’t experience the depths of God’s loving-kindness as He loves others through you, you won’t see God work providentially in your family or in the lives of those around you, you won’t enjoy the “fruits” of your labors, and you won’t live the life promised in Deuteronomy 5:16, which reads:  “Honor your father and your mother, as the Lord your God has commanded you, so that you may live long and that it may go well for you in the land the Lord your God is giving you.” 

God commands us to pray…and to pray specifically.  If we disobey God in this, the “coming” of God’s kingdom will be stymied.  Do you want to be one who stymies the coming of God’s kingdom?

Do I? 

Ummm...that would be an emphatic NO!

I don’t know about you, but I’ve decided to stop the practice of not praying

...and I’ve decided to stop that practice continually.

Peace,

Dave

P.S.  I think there are still some more dots yet to come.  After that, I’m going to just sit and wait on God to speak into the depths of my soul and to tell me what He’d like for me to do.  CU…

No comments:

Post a Comment