Saturday, October 29, 2011

November 2011: A Month of Loving-kindness

This year, I am setting apart November as a month of loving-kindness…a month dedicated to being and doing that which is kind toward others and toward myself...BASED ON LOVE.

Loving-kindness is tough, and it is neither flattering nor obsequious.

Loving-kindness speaks the truth, but does so always for the benefit of others.

Loving-kindness never does for another that which that one can (and, most certainly, should) do for himself or herself.

Loving-kindness is deferential, but in a meek (strength channeled lovingly) kind of way; it never lets another walk all over him or her.

Loving-kindness recognizes that everyone is sinful and is, as such, forgiving of everyone for everything.  In fact, loving-kindness chooses to forgive others long before they act.  This is how loving-kindness produces a slowness to anger, for loving-kindness is not easily offended.

Loving-kindness is gracious, and does whatever it can to make others feel preciously loved and welcomed...even if it's at 3:30 in the morning.



 
So…as I wrote above, during November (which is my birthday month), I wish to be lovingly-kind in every situation.  And I mean EVERY situation.  Is it possible to respond to life in such a way?  Yep.  The scriptures read that “the fruit of the Spirit is…kindness.”  My prayer (my plea, in fact) in this moment is for God to incarnate (make flesh) His Word in me in this very special, and often overlooked, arena of life.

Peace and loving-kindness to all of you,

Dave

No comments:

Post a Comment