Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Autumn Effect at Argenteuil, Stradivarius Violins, the ’67½ Ford Mustang, Paperclips, and You


In the modern usage of the term, a "masterpiece" refers to a creation that has been given much critical praise, especially one that is considered the greatest work of a person’s career, or to a work of outstanding creativity, skill, or workmanship.  (From Wikipedia)

I could spend countless days and weeks delving into why I think each of the above items are masterpieces, but many have done that already.

And I’m going to defer to them.



There's one aspect of masterpieces, though, that I do wish to speak to, and that's this:  How we treat them.  Take Monet's, Autumn Effect at Argenteuil, for example.  Is that something you would use to house-train a new puppy?  Probably not.  Okay...how'bout this one?  What if, instead of a plastic bat, we used a Stradivarius Violin to play wiffleball?  Hmmm...yes, such a thing might work okay, but who in his or her right mind would use something worth in upwards of $1M to swat a little plastic ball?

And then there’s you and me.

How have you been treating (or using?) yourself lately?

Each of us are worth far more than any masterpiece in existence and, yet, some—if not many—of us, at times, treat a $5 cat better than we treat ourselves.

Drawing from my own personal history...

Earlier in life, I made some decisions that were not in my best interest.  At the time, I thought I was going with what I really wanted, but, in retrospect, it wasn't at all what I wanted.  In the exuberance of my own feelings and in the context of my own unaddressed relational insecurities, I failed to seek God as diligently as I could have.  And, in addition, I discounted my own intuition—the whistles and red flags of my own internal warning systems—and opted for what I thought I wanted based on what turned out to be extremely limited data.  To quote many…"I chose unwisely.”  VERY unwisely.

Fast forward to many years later, and the seeds I’d planted with those early decisions were now in full bloom and had grown so far beyond me that I had no concept of what I had gotten myself into or what I was dealing with.  In the darkest hours, I cried out to God for help, and, yes, He heard me.  He let me know just how much He loved me, He told me how He understood exactly what I was feeling and dealing with, and, in His great mercy, He gave me the power to confess my sin and to repent not only of the ways in which I’d been living my life but also of the entire manner in which I had, to that point, approached the whole arena or relationships and decision-making.  And—praise His Holy Name!—He rescued me...and at just the right time, too!

THANK GOD!!  (For those of you who know of that from which God rescued me, you know that I have so much to be grateful for.) 

So...in being rescued, I found myself alone and by myself once again (THANK YOU GOD!!  Yes, there is a theme, here.), and it was then that I chose to withdraw from a lot of what I had been involved in previously.  During this time, which lasted for a couple of years, I lived a kind of monastic-light existence and devoted countless hours to prayer and meditation, to complete and utter silence, to hiking, to working my bag, to writing, to composing music, and to just seeking God in great earnest.  I still live that way to a degree, now, but not to the extent I once did.  That season of my life, while now over, was absolutely necessary as it brought me into close and extended contact with God and re-calibrated and re-focused my life.  It also allowed me to begin to feel my hunger and thirst again as well as to reacquaint myself with my dreams.  I will never forget that season of life, my friends.  I am not the monastic I once was (yes, I can hear quite a number of you cheering over that!), but I still carry a good bit of it with me.  You can take the boy out of monasticism, but you can't take the monasticism out of...

Anyway, about two years ago, I felt the prompting of God to re-engage in the world.  To demarcate such a thing, I got re-baptized on Easter Sunday, April 12, 2009, at newhope church in Durham, NC.  That very afternoon, I was given a new name: Jonathan David.  Jonathan means “Yahweh has given,” and David means “Beloved.”  I believe the reason God chose to add Jonathan to my birthing namesake was to let me know that He was giving me back to my own self as my own best friend.  (Please forgive me if this sounds strange, but it is exactly what happened.)  During my monastic period, I learned how to not just listen to but to embrace my surrendered intuition, my deepest desires and longings, and my basic needs as a human being.  I discovered that I can stand up for myself while supporting others at the same time.  “I will extend myself courageously and unashamedly, express myself openly and honestly, and share my song with all who wish to listen,” was the decision of my heart.  And it is a decision I continue to make and to live-out every day of my life.


A little more background on Jonathan David...

All my life, I've been fascinated by David in the Bible.  He was, indeed, a man after the very Heart of God.  He was also a warrior, a worshiper, a leader, a poet, a musician and song-writer, a servant, a thief, a liar, a blood-thirsty scoundrel (at times), an adulterer, and a murderer.  Like many, David had a lot of difficulties in life, but unlike many, he allowed those very difficulties to mold and shape him into the man he became and to inflame within him a great and lasting passion for God.  The legacy of David’s life, difficulties, and passions are recorded for all eternity in the Psalms, which have been loved literally by billions of people for thousands upon thousands of years.

In life, David’s greatest friend was a man by the name of Jonathan.  In a way, Jonathan was “Yahweh’s personal gift” to David.  He was a friend to David like none other and was able to love David in a way that I don’t think even David was capable of.  And it gave David great comfort, courage, and strength.  I believe it also brought a lot of healing to David’s heart.

This is the whole context of my own covenant name.  All my life, I have longed to be a friend of God (and that is what I am!), and through that friendship, God has forged within my own soul the gift of being able to befriend myself like no one else can.  It is truly an amazing thing!  To be God’s friend and to be my own best friend at the same time is worth more to me than anything I can imagine. THIS is what embracing isolation brought about in my life.  But the isolation was only for a season, and, despite the insatiable hungers and thirsts I felt at the time (and still feel), it was the best thing that could have ever happened to me.  The ability to feel and to embrace one’s hurt, one’s loneliness, one’s fears, and, even, the crashings of one’s life that occur from time to time is a special gift that only the Holy Spirit can bestow.


I have discovered that true happiness in life comes from accepting, choosing, and embracing the moment for this is truly what it means to befriend oneself.  Many times throughout my day, I hear my own voice (via the Jonathan part!) speak to me these very words: ''Accept, choose, and embrace what is, Dave.  Welcome it with an unconditional friendliness."  I also hear:  "Empty your mind, Dave, let it all go, and stay here…conscious and present…devoted 100% to the experience you’re having right now, because ‘right now’ is all you have. There is nothing else.”  This is how I continue to befriend myself.

I don't think I could ever overemphasize this, but the ability to accept what “is” in the moment is absolutely critical in life and is, I believe, one of the keys to living joyfully and generatively.  I have learned, even when things feel really, really crappy and uncomfortable, to want what is...to want what I have...to want and even embrace what I am experiencing in the moment as a special gift from God, given to me for my ultimate good.  James (in the book of James) urged us to welcome trials and difficulties as friends, because they are of God, given to build us up in Him.  So many in life struggle with great unhappiness because they have not yet discovered the secret of wanting "what is" and, consequently, devote much energy to trying to deny "what is (which is really just Jesus in the moment)," trying to run from "what is" (or how they're feeling about it [or HIM!]), or trying to change "what is" into something different than what it is [e.g., to recreate Jesus in one's own image].  Please hear me when I say:  No amount of energy can EVER change "what is" in this moment into something different from what it is in this moment.

Difficult and edgy times will come, but, as with everything, they, too, will pass.  They're like the clouds in the sky.  The joy of living, however, is like the sun and the cloudless skies of blue...always there, even when the torrents of "now" prevent us from seeing them.  To know in one's "knower" that they are there is a great comfort and provides the perspective needed to stay present and, even, to enjoy the difficulties we encounter because we know they're good for us and, as the scriptures read, demonstrate just how great God's love for us really is.  For is it not the Loving Father that disciplines us?  I believe it is.  He loves and accepts me unconditionally, yes, but He loves me so much that he will not let me stay mired in the muck and mud of my current life-conditions (see Psalm 40).

So…in this very moment, I want to urge you with everything that's within me to choose to befriend yourself and to treat yourself well...like the masterpiece that you are.  Jesus commanded us to love our neighbors as we love ourselves.  Might you and I both become "like a good neighbor (ergo State Farm)" to our own selves.  May we, also, allow Jesus, Who lives inside us, to become the Good Samaritan to the you and the me laying bruised, broken, and bleeding in the ditch.

In concluding this post, I wish to leave you with two youtube clips, which I just love.  I hope they minister to you like they have to me.

Peace to all of you as you seek to befriend the masterpieces that all’y’all are.


Bling


"God's Chisel," The Skit Guys

"The Touch of the Master's Hand," Wayne Watson

No comments:

Post a Comment