Friday, February 25, 2011

"Snakes in the Grass"

About five years ago, I had a very vivid dream...

In my dream, it's pitch black outside (even though there's a full moon in the sky), and I'm standing before a very large, open field.  Something within is telling me that I need to cross to the other side.  Why, I don't know; all I know is that I'm supposed to cross.  But there's a problem…

…the field I’m standing in front of is teaming with a host of deadly snakes.  Since I cannot see them, I linger at the edge of the field wondering anxiously how I’m going to get across.  Looking down, I notice that I have a can of orange fluorescent spray paint in my right hand.  I tell myself that if I can just paint the snakes I’ll be able to see them well enough to cross unharmed.  To do this, though, would require me to place myself within striking distance of each snake, which is something that I cannot do.  So…I just stand there, lingering at the edge of the field, with this dilemma:  I must cross, but I cannot do so safely because it’s too dark to see the dangers I know are there.

Interpretation...

The field represents my destiny...that which I need to walk in--NOW.
The moon represents the guidance of the Holy Spirit...directly and indirectly through those around me.  The fact that there's a full moon and that it's still pitch black out points to the spiritual, rather than physical, nature of the guidance I need.  I must "see" with the eyes of my spirit...even though my physical eyes may be unable to see a thing.
The snakes represent the dangers of my life and mission.  I know they're there and that they're many, but I cannot see all of them.  Nor can I avoid them.  If I cross the field, I will be bitten--guaranteed.
The orange paint represents my own "natural" ways of trying to cheat death and to engineer myself out of difficult, messy, or nasty situations.
The poison represent the many ways in which the enemy wishes to harm me.  I feel, though, that it's God's intention and desire to turn that which is meant to harm me into that which gives life.  Through the power of His Spirit, the poison that kills can become the medicine that heals.

My Daily Prayer response...

Lord, when confronted with my visional field of deadly snakes, if it is my destiny to cross, enable me to venture forth with courage, honor, openness, and humility.  May the night lights guide each step I take, and, as I’m bitten in the crossing, may I absorb that which each snake has to offer me.  Enable me to transmute the poison into that which gives life.

No comments:

Post a Comment