Wednesday, February 2, 2011

"My Desiderata"

I wish to live a simple, open, and ordinary life inspired by a great love for God and for others and by an insatiable enthusiasm for life and for everything that has life.
I will look to see, listen to hear, and touch to feel.
I will taste my food and drink.
When I speak, it will be to share my thoughts, feelings, and dreams. And, at times, even my complaints—but not very often.
I will indulge my sense of smell. And humor.
I will be okay with the unknown, but never stop asking questions.
I will refrain from gossip, look for the good in other people and in other things, and count others as better than myself.
I will be creative and allow the artist within to emerge.
I will be genuine.
I will feel things deeply, but be slow to take offense.
I will embrace paradox.
In every way, I will seek opportunity to lay my life down for others.
I will take things in stride and, like the willow, bend with the breeze and be at home in the presence of water.
I will make beautiful music my soul’s anthem.
I will be generous to those who hurt me.
I will climb. High.
I will tell those I love how much I love them and what they’ve meant to me in my life.
I will enjoy the quiet of my own thoughts.
And when I dream, it will be of great things:  convertibles, big waves, white rivers, and vertical rock faces. I will also dream of freedom.
I will find a way to enjoy the weather no matter how cold and rainy it might be.
I will enjoy the sensation of breathing.
I will embrace those things I’m afraid of and push myself beyond my perceived limits.
I will read the letters of old friends.
I will learn.
I will spend less than I make and work in such a way as to ensure the success of those for whom I work.
I will take time to write.
I will no longer hide my vulnerabilities.
I will set personal records.
I will express myself in ways that children understand.
I will look back to that from which I came.
I will create shared memories with others.
I will think upon the love God has for me personally and, when my cup is full, allow my heart to weep its deep waterfall of tears.
I will reflect on the hurt I’ve caused in others.
I will play at life:  at 104, I will be the oldest 11-year-old walking the face of the planet.
I will share my heart with those nearest it and not just wait for things to happen.
I will not let life pass me by—I will pursue it with great abandon.
I will speak the truth in kindness and strive to make a difference in the lives of individual people.
I will enjoy my mornings and be grateful for what God has given me, striving ever to thank Him even in the midst of great loss.
I will not force myself upon others, but will invite and welcome their company.
With patient endurance, I will run the race set before me—for it will be MY race. I will pace myself, forever remembering the good things, until at long last I draw my final breath.

Note:  I wrote this a couple of months after my late wife, Brenda Hollis (9/29/66-6/3/02), passed away.  It is a list of the things I want in life.  The really cool thing I have discovered is that most of these things have become so much a part of me that they are now things enjoyed and not so much things wished for, if that makes sense.  Peace to all of you...

No comments:

Post a Comment