Wednesday, February 16, 2011

"Dreaming of a Lifesong"

About a year and a half ago, I had a very vivid dream…

---
In my dream, it's early evening in the late summer, and I'm standing in the parking lot looking over toward the swimming pool in the apartment complex where I used to live.  In my dream, I can see a young woman with long blonde hair and wearing a tan sundress.  She's standing by the pool and holding a violin and bow in her hands, but she isn't playing.

Out of the corner of my eye, I spot an old man walking up toward the woman.  In his hands are a violin case and a bow of his own.  Upon reaching her, the old man sits his case down on one of the many outdoor lounge chairs, opens the case, and pulls out his violin.  After tuning the strings for a moment, He picks up His bow, positions His violin, and begins to play.  The ancient melody that comes forth is exquisite, unlike anything I've ever heard before.

After playing for a minute or so, the old man stops playing, and, with a child-like exuberance, looks at the young woman as if to say, "Come, My dear…come and play with Me.  Come and see, come and see...and play My Song.”

The woman looks down at what's in her hands, almost as if she doesn't know what she has, and then, gazing up at the old man in front of her, slowly raises her violin and bow.  Continuing to smile, the old man begins to play again, and, soon, the woman joins in.  For a few minutes, the two of them play together with such harmonious beauty that it brings tears to my eyes.  A moment or two later, the old man stops playing, and, with such admiration, just sits back and watches and listens as the young woman begins to loose herself in the melody that's flowing from within her.  Again, I've neither seen nor heard such radiant beauty.

After listening to the young woman play for some time, the old man packs up His violin and proceeds to walk away from her, all the while, enjoying the music as it continues to pierce the night air with it’s melodic tones and primal rhythms.

In the parking lot, a few moments later, I approach the old man and ask Him why He stopped playing with the woman.  “There was no longer a need, My son,” He answers simply.  “All that was needed was for Someone to remind her of what she already knew...of what she's known her entire life.”  Turning His head back toward the young woman, who's still playing, the old man smiles and says, “See?”  In response, I nod my head.  Yes, I did see.

---


All of us have a song—a lifesong, if you will—that was placed within us long ago by the Master Musician of our lives.  For reasons unknown, many of us have forgotten what God placed in us.  It is my hope that today will be the day that you begin to rediscover the song the Creator of the universe placed inside you.  In some ways, life is all about remembering that which we once knew but forgot somehow.  In our awakening to the Spirit's call, the lifesong we each carry can be resurrected.

The world needs to hear your song, my friends.  In this moment, may you begin to let yourself hear and feel the melody that plays continually inside you and, through the power of God’s Spirit, allow it to emanate outward to those around you.  There is little else that will create more joy in your heart than when the Song of your Father begins to flow from within you as it once did.  Know this:  that I and everyone around you is so very hungry and thirsty to hear what only you can sing.  Please don't deprive us any longer.

Peace,

Dave

Psalm 40:1-5


I waited patiently for the Lord; He turned to me and heard my cry.

He lifted me out of the slimy pit, out of the mud and mire; He set my feet on a rock and gave me a firm place to stand.

He put a new song in my mouth, a hymn of praise to our God.

Many will see and fear and put their trust in the Lord.

Blessed is the man who makes the Lord his trust, who does not look to the proud, to those who turn aside to false gods.

Many, O Lord my God, are the wonders you have done.

The things You planned for us no one can recount to You; were I to speak and tell of them, they would be too many to declare.



Two Songs to Enjoy


“40,” by U2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AjtpplE39_g

“Lifesong,” by Casting Crowns
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vaia32TsPq0


No comments:

Post a Comment