Monday, May 9, 2011

The Lord’s Prayer (A.K.A. "The Our Father”)

Greetings, everyone…

Provided below is a “way” of praying through “The Lord’s Prayer” in an expanded fashion.  I recommend memorizing this and adding it to your daily practice of prayer.  Praying through this expanded version can be completed in less than ten minutes.  The really cool thing, though, is that this particular format can be expanded upon in many ways.  Sometimes, I will take an hour or two to pray through such an expansion.  To me, creating a memorized prayer, like the one below, is a lot like erecting of a garden trellis to encourage your vines and flowers to grow where and in the manner you would like them to grow.

Below the prayer, I have provided some scriptural references that speak to the many themes contained within the prayer.

Peace to all of you on this beautiful day,

Daver


The Lord’s Prayer

Matthew 6:9-13
 
Our Father, Who Art in Heaven.

Hallowed be Thy Name.

Thy kingdom come, Thy will be done, on earth as it is in Heaven.

Give us this day our daily bread.

And forgive us our trespasses as we forgive those who trespass against us.

And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil.

For Thine is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory, forever and ever.  Amen.

Heavenly Father, I hallow the Name of Jesus—the Name that is above all names.

Jesus, I know that one day every knee will bow and every tongue will confess that You are Lord to the praise and glory of Your Father.  In this moment, Lord, I bow my knees to You, and I confess with my mouth that You are Lord.  May Your Father be forever praised and glorified in my life.

Jesus, You are The Lord My Righteousness, The Lord Who Sanctifies Me, The Lord My Peace, The Lord Who’s There, The Lord My Provider, The Lord Who Heals Me, The Lord My Shepherd, The Lord Who Guides, Protects, and Disciplines Me, The Lord My Comforter and Counselor, The Lord Who Sees Me and Calls Me by Name, The Lord My Refuge and Ever Present Help, and The Lord Who Loves Me More than I Could Ever Ask for or Even Imagine.

Lord Jesus Christ, You Are the King of Kings and the Lord of Lords.

Jesus, You’re My Lord and Savior, My Heavenly Companion, and My Only Hope.  You’re The Creator of All that is Seen and of All that is Unseen, The Master of the Universe, The Alpha and the Omega, The Beginning and the End, and The Author and Finisher of My Faith.

Lord Jesus Christ…Oh how I love Your Name.  It’s like honey in my mouth!  In my life, Lord, may Your Name be forever hallowed and praised.

Psalm 23

The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not be in want.

He maketh me to lie down in green pastures; He leadeth me beside the still and quiet waters; He restoreth my soul.

He guideth my paths in righteousness for His Name’s sake.

And yea though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for Thou art with me; Thy rod and Thy staff, they comfort me.

Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies.  Thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over.

Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life, and I will dwell in the House of the Lord forever.

Psalm 63:1-8

O God, You are my God, earnestly I seek You; my soul thirsts for You, my body longs for You, in a dry and weary land where there is no water.

I have seen You in the sanctuary and beheld Your power and Your glory.

Because Your love is better than life, my lips will glorify You.

I will praise You as long as I live, and in Your Name I will lift up my hands.

My soul will be satisfied with the richest of foods; with singing lips my mouth will praise You. 

On my bed, I remember You; I think of You through the watches of the night.

Because You are my help, I will sing in the shadow of Your wings.

My soul clings to You; Your right hand upholds me.

Here I am, Lord, ready to do Your will.
I am and will always be Your servant and friend.
With all my heart, Lord, I want to know You, and I want to be and do all that You ask of me.
May Your will be done in and through me, just as it's already being done in heaven.

Have mercy on me and forgive me, Lord, all my sins.
Cleanse the thoughts of my heart, and wash me in Your Blood.

Lord Jesus Christ, Immanuel, Son of the Living God, have mercy on me, a redeemed sinner.
Lord Jesus Christ, Immanuel, Son of the Living God, have mercy on me, a redeemed sinner.
Lord Jesus Christ, Immanuel, Son of the Living God, have mercy on me, a redeemed sinner.
Lord Jesus Christ, Immanuel, Lamb of God, Who takes away the sin of the world, grant me Your peace.

Lord, I am not worthy to receive You; only speak the Word, and I shall be healed.

Not my will, but Thine.  Into Your Hands I commit my spirit.

Father, I want to walk before You in holiness, humility, and purity all the days of my life.

Create in me a pure heart, O God, and restore a steadfast spirit within me.  Do not cast me away from Your presence or take Your Holy Spirit from me.  Restore to me the joy of Your salvation, and grant me a willing spirit, to sustain me.

Father, help me to forgive my brothers, help me to forgive my sisters, help me to forgive myself, and help me to forgive You.  Please help me, Lord, to let go of the bitterness and resentment I hold on to so tightly, and, as I do so, may I become a more open conduit of Your loving-kindness, joy, compassion, and equanimity.  Father, please place within me Your Own Heart of genuine love, grace, and mercy that those around me might see and recognize You more fully as Your Image is reflected in and through me.

Lord, though mine enemies be many, and though they be encamped about me—hemming me in on every side—I know this:  And that is that victory is assured; for greater is He, Who is in me, than he that is in the world.

Lord Jesus Christ, place a hedge of thorns around my heart, soul, mind, and body.  Please protect me from the attacks and assaults of my enemies.

Rise up, O Jesus, and defend me.  Come quickly to my aid, and rescue me from the fowler’s snare; for Thou Art My Refuge and Ever-Present-Help in times of difficulty and trouble.

Psalm 27:1-6

The Lord is my light and my salvation—whom shall I fear?

The Lord is the stronghold of my life—of whom shall I be afraid?

When evil men advance against me to devour my flesh, when my enemies and my foes attack me, they will stumble and fall.

Though an army besiege me, my heart will not fear; though war break out against me, even then will I be confident.

One thing I ask of the Lord, this is what I seek:  that I may dwell in the house of the Lord all the days of my life, to gaze upon the beauty of the LORD, and to seek Him in his temple.

For in the day of trouble, He will keep me safe in His dwelling; He will hide me in the shelter of His tabernacle and set me high upon a rock.

Then my head will be exalted above the enemies who surround me; at His tabernacle will I sacrifice with shouts of joy; I will sing and make music to the Lord.

For Thine is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory forever and ever.  Amen.


Scripture References (Provided in the order of the prayersort of!):

Mathew 6:9-13
Psalm 23
Psalm 63:1-8
Philippians 2:12-13
Deuteronomy 10:12-13
Proverbs 14:12
Proverbs 29:25
Matthew 7:14
Matthew 25:31-40
Mathew 26:38 and Luke 23:46
John 6:38
Romans 12:2
1 Corinthians 13:4-8
2 Corinthians 9:7
Galatians 2:22-23
Ephesians 2:10
Ephesians 4:1-3
Ephesians 5:1-2
Ephesians 5:21
Hebrews 12:1-4
1 Thessalonians 4:1-12
1 John 4:7-20
Philippians 4:18-20
Psalm 51
Matthew 6:14-15
Luke 18:13
1Timothy 1:15-16
James 5:16
Job 1:6-11
Psalm 27:1-6
Psalm 91
1 Corinthians 10:13
Isaiah 6:1-5
Mathew 28:20
Revelation 19:11-16
Revelation 22:12-16

No comments:

Post a Comment