Friday, May 20, 2011

Plan A: The Fragments of Holy Writ

Provided below is my Plan A...

It comprises the portions of scripture I run to when I need immediate direction, comfort, strength, refocusing, recalibration, or help in time of need.  It comprises the personal Sword of God’s Spirit in my own life.  I prayerfully “run to and through these” passages many times throughout the day.  Oh, how I love God’s Word; such an anchor to my soul are these very “fragments of holy writ."

Peace…

Daver   

The Lord is my Shepherd; I shall not be in want.  He maketh me to lie down in green pastures; He leadeth me beside the still and quiet waters; He restoreth my soul.  He guideth my paths in righteousness for His Name’s sake.  And yea though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for Thou art with me; Thy rod and Thy staff, they comfort me.  Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies.  Thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over.  Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life, and I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever.

O God, You are my God, earnestly I seek You; my soul thirsts for You, my body longs for You, in a dry and weary land where there is no water.  I have seen You in the sanctuary and beheld Your power and Your glory.  Because Your love is better than life, my lips will glorify You.  I will praise You as long as I live, and in Your Name I will lift up my hands.  My soul will be satisfied with the richest of foods; with singing lips my mouth will praise You.  On my bed, I remember You; I think of You through the watches of the night.  Because You are my help, I will sing in the shadow of Your wings.  My soul clings to You; Your right hand upholds me.

The man who tries to be good, loving, and kind finds life, righteousness, and honor.

“For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.”

The Lord will keep in perfect peace, the man whose mind is stayed upon Him.

Delight yourself in the Lord, and He will give you the desires and secret ambitions of your heart.

The Lord directs the steps of the righteous; He delights in every detail of their lives.

“Have I not commanded you?  Be strong and very courageous.  Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged; for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go.”

Do you not know?  Have you not heard?  The Lord is the Everlasting God, the Creator of the ends of the earth.  He will not grow tired or weary, and His understanding no one can fathom.  He gives strength to the weary and increases the power of the weak.  Even youths grow tired and weary, and young men stumble and fall; but those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength.  They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint.

A righteous man leaves an inheritance for his children’s children.

And what does the Lord require of you?  To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God.

I have made a covenant with mine eyes to ever again look upon another woman lustfully.

Create in me a pure heart, O God, and restore a steadfast spirit within me.  Do not cast me from Your Presence or take Your Holy Spirit from me.  Restore to me the joy of Your Salvation, and grant me a willing spirit to sustain me.  Then I will teach transgressors Your ways, and sinners will turn back to You.

The Joy of the Lord is my strength.

The Lord giveth; the Lord taketh away.  Praise be His Name.

“Not by might, nor by power, but by My Spirit,” says the Lord.

“For I have loved you with an Everlasting Love.”

“Happy is the man who longs to be just and good, for he shall be completely satisfied.”

“Our Father, Who art in heaven.  Hallowed be Thy Name.  Thy Kingdom come, Thy Will be done, on earth as it is in Heaven.  Give us this day our daily bread.  And forgive us our trespasses as we forgive those who trespass against us.  And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil.  For Thine is the Kingdom, and the Power, and the Glory, forever and ever.  Amen.”

“Therefore I tell you, whatever you ask for in prayer, believe that you have already received it, and it will be yours.”

“Anything is possible to him who believes.”

“I do believe.  Help me, Lord, to overcome my unbelief.”

“...and you shall know the Truth, and the Truth will make you free.”

In your anger, do not sin.  Let not the sun go down on your anger.

Be quick to listen, slow to speak, and slower still to become angry.

A man’s anger does not bring about the righteous life that God desires.

Let no unwholesome talk proceed out of your mouth; speak only that which is beneficial to the building up of others according to their needs.

Place a bridle on your tongue.

A soft answer turneth away wrath.

Life and death are in the power of the tongue.

Speak the truth in love.

Love is patient, Love is kind.  It does not envy, It does not boast, It is not proud.  It is not rude, It is not self-seeking, It is not easily angered, It keeps no record of wrongs.  Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth.  It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.  Love never fails.

But the fruit of the Spirit is Love, Joy, Peace, Patience, Kindness, Goodness, Faithfulness, Gentleness, and Self-control.

Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God.  And the Peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.  Finally, brothers, whatever is True, whatever is Noble, whatever is Right, whatever is Pure, whatever is Lovely, whatever is Admirable--if anything is Excellent or Praiseworthy--think about such things.

“Take up your cross and follow me…[for] whoever looses his life for My sake, will find it.”

Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ loved the church and gave Himself up for her.

Greater love hath no man than this:  but that he should lay down his life for his friends.

For God is at work within you both to will and to do His good pleasure.

He whom the Son sets free is free indeed.

“Come unto Me all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.  Take My yoke upon you, and learn from Me, for I AM gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.  For My yoke is easy, and My burden is light.”

Perfect love casts out all fear.

“For I have not given you a spirit of fear,” says the Lord.  “Rather, I have given you the Spirit of Power, Love, and Soundness of Mind.”


No temptation has seized you except what is common to man.  And God is faithful; He will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear.  But will, with the temptation, provide a means of escape so that you can stand up under it.

Be not unequally yoked.

“A man can receive only that which is given him from Heaven.”

“He must increase; I must decrease.” 

“Not My Will, but Thine.”

“Into Your Hands, I commit My Spirit.”

“And, lo, I AM (and will be) with you always…even unto the very ends of the earth.”

Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the Author and Finisher of our faith, Who, for the joy set before Him, endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the Right Hand of the Throne of God.

Thou wilt make known to me the Path of Life: Thy Countenance is Fullness of Joy; at Thy Right Hand are pleasures forevermore.

No comments:

Post a Comment