Sunday, May 15, 2011

The Tranquility of Nature

What a wonderful evening it is here in central North Carolina.

Right now, I'm sitting at a little café table on the porch outside my 2nd floor apartment.  My cat, Baby Kitty, is out here with me.

The sun “technically” went down about twenty minutes ago, and the moon, though not quite full, is blooming brightly as the clouds parade by in measured cadence.  The night creatures have all begun to sing their songs, and the chime of my Corinthian Bells, as they jostle about lightly in the wind, has added a touch of improvised melody to the collective orchestration of the evening.  It all just feels so very calm and peaceful.

I had a difficult encounter, earlier today, which always throws me a bit.  When such things happen, I tend to experience a little more groundlessness than normal.  Much like the feeling of being in that space in-between just having the rug pulled out from under you and the moment when your head crashes against the floor.  Have you ever experienced those feelings?  For a while, earlier, I was in the “bracing myself” posture as I just waited to hit the floor.

But God had other plans.

Today, He provided me with a soft place to land:  in nature, right here on my porch.  :o)

From about 4 until 7, I worked on my container plants while listening to an old Mylon Lefevre album as it played on my laptop.  Getting my hands dirty and handling various plants just seemed to breathe the life right back into me.  And now, just sitting out here peacefully enjoying the sights, sounds, and smells, and engaging in an activity that I’ve recently fallen in love with, everything feels just fine.  Nice…

Thanks, God...I needed this.

No comments:

Post a Comment