Thursday, May 5, 2011

“Planning “ to Sin and the Faithfulness that Brings Freedom – Part 2

Okay…so here’s a little more along the lines of what I wrote about very late last night…

One of my most favorite scripture passages is found in Hebrews 12:1-4, which reads as follows:

Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us.  Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the Author and Perfecter of our faith, Who for the joy set before Him endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the Right Hand of the throne of God.  Consider Him who endured such opposition from sinful men, so that you will not grow weary and lose heart.  [For] in your struggle against sin, you have not yet resisted to the point of shedding your [own] blood.

I especially like verse 4, which (again!) reads, …in your struggle against sin, you have not yet resisted to the point of shedding your [own] blood.  THAT is such an amazing statement of truth…especially, as it falls right on the heels of the author’s pleadings for us to “consider Him (Jesus)” so that we “will not grow weary and loose heart.”

MEN AND WOMEN…

Do you understand that Jesus won back for you the power and ability to resist sin to the point of bloodshed?...And, even, to master it (see Genesis 4:7)?

Right now, I am so cut to the quick by this FACT, for I DO NOT resist to that degree in my life.  In fact, sometimes I give in without even a hint of resistance.  It's like I run from temptation (sort of), only to wait for it around the corner.  I mean, what's up with that?

Honestly, because of all of this, I feel that I am to be pitied (written without a trace of condemnation, by the way).

And why is that, Dave?...The "to be pitied" part?

Because, even though I could choose to follow Jesus in every arena of life, I, instead, choose (and all too often, it would seem) the low road of following hard after my own base impulses and instincts.  I’m just being really honest here, you all.  Even though choosing to follow Jesus is NOT something I can do in my own strength, the choice to follow Him really is up to me.  God grants me the power, but I must walk in it by His mighty strength as IT is expressed in and through my personal effort.  God creates and supplies the oxygen, but I must breathe it in.  For if I don’t, I will die…and THAT, my friends, is NOT God’s best for me.  Of that, I am quite certain.  God won’t do the breathing for me; I must do it…in His strength.  And, on top of all of that, doing so just makes Him so very happy, which I think is pretty dang cool.

A couple more scripture passages for your edification and meditation...

The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom, and knowledge of the Holy One is understanding.—Proverbs 9:10

See, I set before you, today, life and prosperity, death and destruction.  For I command you, today, to love the Lord your God, to walk in His ways, and to keep His commands, decrees, and laws; then you will live and increase, and the Lord your God will bless you in the land you are entering to possess.   But if your heart turns away, and you are not obedient, and if you are drawn away to bow down to other gods and worship them, I declare to you this day that you will certainly be destroyed.  You will not live long in the land you are crossing the Jordan to enter and possess.  This day I call heaven and earth as witnesses against you that I have set before you life and death, blessings and curses.  Now choose life, so that you and your children may live.—Deuteronomy 30:15-19

Choose life, my friends, follow Jesus, and resist sin as He empowers you to do so.  THIS is true freedom in life.  There really is no other way to live, me thinks.

Peace-out, y’all,

Daver

No comments:

Post a Comment