Monday, March 21, 2011

Questions, Questions, and, Again, More Questions

As I've written of several times on this blog, I believe in asking questions.  While I love finding answers to my questions, most often, in fact, it’s the actual asking of questions that brings about the most illumination.  I'm reminded continually of something Socrates once said to a self-absorbed student of his:  “You need to start asking better questions.”  I'm just trying to take his advice.


What is the Chief End and Purpose of My Life?

To live abundantly.  That said, I love the way the Westminster Confession puts it (and this is my own paraphrased and life-adapted version of the original verbiage):  My purpose in life is to love God and to enjoy Him forever, and to love my neighbor as myself.  This is, I believe, the essence of living abundantly.

How Will I Live?

In accordance with my above purpose, I will live a simple, open, and ordinary life inspired by a great love for God and for others and by an insatiable enthusiasm for life and for everything that has life.

What Will Motivate Me?
  1. My love for God and others and just life in general and specifically(!);
  2. My desire to find my true limits and then extend them;
  3. My desire to live and walk in freedom;
  4. My desire to be true to my conscience at the points of choice in my life; and
  5. My own inner inspiration.

What Will Truly Satisfy Me?
  1. Being right where God wants me;
  2. Knowing and being known by God and others;
  3. Loving and being loved by God and others;
  4. Making an eternal difference in the lives of individual people; and
  5. Eliminating the gap the separates my performance from my potential.

No comments:

Post a Comment